Monday, October 27, 2014

What Does Top Gun and a Wagon Have in Common?


I used to watch the movie Top Gun all the time! (I adored Tom Cruise before he got all jump on a couch weird.)  I hadn't seen it in years when just the other day my hubby was flipping through the channels and stopped on Top Gun. It was about half way through the movie and we were drawn to it like moths to a flame. Towards the end, after Goose dies in a freak flying accident , the commander of Top Gun expresses how important it is for Maverick to get back up in the air and fly. Maverick just can't get over the loss of his navigator and best friend and can't get in the cockpit to complete his training. He had hit a wall, a stumbling block, a bump in the road.   He had fallen and couldn't get back up!

The idea of getting over challenges has been around for ages. For someone who fell off a horse, people might encourage, "Get back in the saddle!"  After a car accident, you may have to encourage a teen to get "back behind the wheel".  Soliders may experience feeling "gun shy" after a stressful situation.

Not too long ago I lost my way. I fell off the recovery wagon. I not only couldn't get back up, I straight up didn't want to get back up. But I was blessed with some amazing friends and a loving supportive family. They encouraged me and even gave me a boost to get back into the recovery wagon.  My recovery wagon had a new driver in the form of my new therapist. At first I was unsure, and I didn't know if her driving skills would work for me and my wagon.  For awhile I just rode, watching the miles pass by. Then I started to participate and work with my driver as she maneuvered my recovery wagon up the steep slopes of eating disorder mountain. Some days were hard, some were easy. At times, I felt like I was going to fall off again, but my driver and I had put some safety features into place to keep me on board.  They worked.

Now we are starting a new leg of the journey. I'm going to be driving my wagon now.  I've been working hard and it's time for me to take the reins. This means that now I will only be visiting with my therapist every other week, instead of every week.  I am very proud. I know I am ready for this.  I still have my friends and family supporting me. Plus, my driver is riding right next to my wagon. All I have to do is ask for her help when I need it.

Maverick does overcome his challenges to pilot a fighter plane and he saves the day.  Like Maverick,  I'm back on board too. I know I can drive my recovery wagon into the valley of health and happiness and save myself.  Top Gun and wagons...they are totally connected!

No comments:

Post a Comment